When you find yourself feeling more overwhelmed with stress, there are some tips you can try and help ease the problem. Here’s our counselors best tips;
- Try talking about your feelings to a friend, family member or health professional. You could also contact Samaritans, call:116 123 if you need someone to talk to
- Find out more about 10 stress busters including getting started with exercise and setting aside time for yourself
- Use easy time-management techniques to help you take control
- Use calming breathing exercises
- Listen to free mental wellbeing audio guides
- Search and download relaxation and mindfulness apps or online community apps from the NHS apps library
- Consider Professional help i.e. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
CBT is based on the concept that your thoughts, feelings, physical sensations and actions are interconnected, and that negative thoughts and feelings can trap you in a vicious cycle. CBT aims to help you deal with overwhelming problems in a more positive way by breaking them down into smaller parts. You’re shown how to change these negative patterns to improve the way you feel. Unlike some other talking treatments, CBT deals with your current problems, rather than focusing on issues from your past.
- Do not try to do everything at once – set small targets you can easily achieve
- Do not focus on the things you cannot change – focus your time and energy into helping yourself feel better
- Try not to tell yourself that you’re alone – most people feel stressed at some point in their life and support is available
- Try not to use alcohol, cigarettes, gambling or drugs to relieve stress – these can all contribute to poor mental health.
Here at Joints and Points we are offering face to face appointments, as well as telephone or video appointments. Speaking to one of our qualified counsellors can help support you through difficult times.
Don’t forget you can still speak to your doctor if you are struggling with a mental health problem, with many surgeries offering telephone appointments. Let us know how we can help;
Office number 0151 345 6823